What you believe and focus your attention on, whether it is positive or negative, will manifest in your life. In her book, “You Can Heal Your Life,” Louise Hay suggests this affirmation while looking in the mirror: “I love and approve of myself exactly the way I am.” It is important for you to learn to love, appreciate and accept who you are, exactly where you are in your life.
Each year, millions of Americans gain weight over the holidays. Lean muscle is the secret to keeping your metabolism firing to burn fat all day long. People who are active are more likely to maintain their weight during the holidays.
Don’t be a statistic! Get FIT, boost your energy, and shed pounds this holiday season by working out! Now is a perfect time to get a jump on that New Year’s Resolution.
Here are some tips for keeping weight off during the holidays:
- Physical activity. People who are more active are more likely to maintain their weight during the holidays. Park farther away from the entrance to the mall and get a little walk in.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Alcohol can be a major source of hidden calories. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, almost as much as fat (9 calories per gram) and nearly twice as many calories as a gram of carbohydrate or protein (4 calories per gram). Just one apple martini has 235 calories and almost 12 grams of sugar! Stick to a flavored vodka & soda or a light beer. Don’t forget the water. For every alcoholic drink you have, drink at least 1 extra glass of water. This will help your body metabolize the alcohol and may counteract some of the dehydrating effects of the alcohol on the body, such as next-day hangovers. And ALWAYS have a designated driver!
- Limit soda and other sweetened beverages. These drinks add extra calories, too. Simply put, they are drinks high in fat and/or sugar. A can of soda, for example, has 150 calories and 42 grams of sugar! I love light egg nog but have now switched to Rice-Nog, it’s delicious and only 80 calories per serving. Water is always the best choice!
- Schedule holiday celebrations at normal meal times. Celebrations outside of normal meal times encourage people to pile on extra calories. This one isn’t always easy to follow with work parties, just do your best 🙂
- Choose foods with fewer calories. Foods with fewer calories for their size make you feel fuller sooner. Reach for those celery sticks and stick to lean protein snacks like shrimp or turkey slices.
- Use smaller plates. The bigger your plate, the more food you can pile on it, which means you’ll be more likely to overeat.
- Eat a healthy snack beforehand. You’ll be less likely to eat a lot of fattening food at parties. Try an apple with almond butter or a protein shake with a small piece of fruit.
- Weigh yourself weekly. Plan how you’ll get back on track if your weight begins to creep up.
What are your tips & tricks to avoid holiday weight gain?
I’ve been watching and purchasing fitness videos and DVD’s since the days of Jane Fonda so, I believe I’m pretty qualified to judge a good one vs. one that’s just not so great. So, when I was asked to write a review for the NEW! TRX Multi-Sport Strength DVD, I was honored and happily obliged.
The TRX Multi-Sport Strength DVD focuses on strength, stability, and power. It’s a great full-body workout in just 30 minutes. Jessi Stensland, a Professional Triathlete, runs through 8 of her favorite exercises. I just finished watching it again and I’m very impressed with the combinations of exercises shown. The exercises are broken down so that the first 15 minutes are spent on upper body and the last 15 minutes focus on lower body and core.
She cues each of the exercises with a concise yet thorough explanation. What I really appreciate, is that she tells you what the length of the TRX should be and the correct positioning so there is no question. It is also shown at the bottom of the screen at the beginning of each exercise. She refers to the importance of bio-mechanics (spinal alignment) and proper posture throughout the workout. She also talks about unilateral training and how it can be used to correct imbalances in the body and help prevent injuries.
This is a great DVD for beginners and instructors/trainers because she clearly explains the modifications and goes through each exercise in a slow and controlled manner. Jessi has a great attitude and an amazing figure, she’s upbeat and you can tell she’s having a great time which in turn makes this a great DVD to watch.
Overall, I’d give this one 4 stars out of 5.
Rating (Out of 5):
Long-Term Likeability: ★★★
Meets Expectations: ★★★★
As a side note: I am a HUGE FAN of the TRX. I bought it as a tool for personal use and, since I’m a Personal Trainer became TRX certified so I could use it with my clients. What I love most about the TRX is that it’s great for ALL LEVELS of fitness because each exercise can be modified by just changing the position of the feet or the body. I bought several TRX’s and now teach TRX Group Fitness classes at a very reasonable cost. So, if you’re in the South Bay (Redondo, Hermosa, or Manhattan Beach, Torrance, or El Segundo area) feel free to contact me.